WIPWednesday (late)

Honestly, I have *got* to figure out what day of the week it is! I forgot to put the post on my to-do list yesterday and then forgot it altogether after making sure EK was able to take photos even with the rain.

On a happier note, we are moving forward with both the lease and getting the IRS letter to make us tax-exempt as well as non-profit.

Cordage dispenser being filled. There is enough extra cable on each side that I think I can get two more bars in.

Speaking of cordage, this is plarn that I'm making into cordage using a version of kumihimo. The plan is to use the plastic cord as the base for wrapped baskets. 

Although it's pretty much impossible to tell, this is the bottom and first pattern repeat of a small bag. I'm using a slip-stitch pattern of three colors while working the bag on two needles using the double-knit technique so there is much slipping of stitches, and it's *very* important to keep track of whether the yarn goes in front or behind a particular slipped stitch.

As we're going through our handspun yarn getting ready to open the shop we are finding that some of the skeins are damaged. Some of the lengths are long enough to become mini-skeins, but others really are too short to sell except maybe as random length balls at a steep discount. The shortest bits are going to be used in cordage, although I'm considering using the fusible webbing to make textiles from scraps as well. Longer lengths are good for small finished items like mitts, wrist warmers, and bags. This yarn is a really luscious blend including silk and cashmere so it had to be made into something to wear. The long color repeats also indicated something with short-rows so it became these lacy entrelac wrist warmers.

This is an attempt at paper clay using just paper egg cartons, water, and a bit of hair conditioner all mixed together with an immersion blender. The washcloths were in there to try to soak up some extra moisture, but it wasn't working and I was afraid the clay would start to mold so I took them apart almost as soon as the photos were done. I used the same paper but added some alcohol extracted rose oil to make it smell better and hopefully kill anything that had started to grow. I also put the clay in the food processor and got the texture much finer which will hopefully help. The last thing I did was to make sure my forms were better covered in plastic to make removal of the finished clay item easier. Now all I can do is wait and see if this works better.

Papier mache experiments for containers. I haven't made papier mache in over 30 years, but it seemed worth the try. I used the flour paste method because we have plenty of flour unlike glue or other binders. I found that this method needs *lots* less paper than the weaving method I was using before. I can also ensure that the shapes conform to the forms much better as well so I think this is what we'll be using most in the future. I did need to cover the forms better with plastic and am going to add a couple more layers to strengthen the dried pieces. I also want to make sure to have both the base layers and top layers be either plain paper that will be easy to paint or colorful paper that I meant to have seen. Because of the flour past I will also need to seal the containers to prevent any bug or moisture issues, but I was planning on that and it isn't a problem. 

Follow @Knitn_Kitten