WIPWednesday 8-9-17

These look pretty much finished, but they aren't. I need to sew down the ends of the bracelets and, now that Victoria is back to do the work, entirely unwrap the necklace so she can add chain to both sides.

Paper clay items. The sheet is the original mix and it *still* smelled bad when drying, although not nearly as foul as the stuff that had been in the oven. The coloring is the "skins" (over pour) from EK's first acrylic pour. I lightly ironed the pieces onto the sheet and now can make pendants and such.

The other two items are made from just will blended paper and some joint compound. The small square container was made on a form and then removed. This caused some tearing, hence the awkward shape, and I am still trying to figure out the best way to mend it since applying more paper clay didn't work. I wonder if joint compound alone would. 

The last is paper clay over a plastic bottle for a vase and I'm pretty happy with it. I plan on painting it with the next over pour and am curious to see the effect.

Surface designed textiles. Each of these has been redone significantly. The denim at bottom has gone through a couple versions of being joined with the same multi-colored handspun wool. This should be the final attempt as the herringbone join (suggested by an Indian account for joining  quilted pieces, is quick to work and thrifty of the yarn.

The blue piece at the top right will be called "The quiet at the center" and will go to a silent auction for one of the anti-trafficking groups. It isn't possible to tell in the photo, but the top fabric is *very* lightly colored in blue and red but the only way to tell is to not have the bits and needlework that are in the rest of the piece.

The last was the one that had diagonal lines on it in last week's photos. I realized that a stitch in the middle hadn't anchored correctly, which left the rest to come loose as well, so I took it out and started over. I used a sashiko style border and am "scribbling" in chain stitch to join the pieces of fabric into a whole. This one will be called "winding path" or something similar and will be a donation as well.

The tools in the bottom photo are all the ones I've used on this piece. The aari hook on the left is the one I was using with the original sewing thread, while the middle tool is (I think) an actual tambour hook. It was given to me when the original owner passed away and the thickness of the piece was starting to bend it so I changed to the small crochet hook on the right. Because of the thickness of the crochet cotton this hook is easiest, but I sometimes have to make a starter hole with a tapestry needle to make a particularly tough stitch.

EK's newest job. These are a mountain of burlap coffee sacks that were donated by a local coffee roaster. They need to be unseamed and the edges justified before they can be used. There are four different densities of weave so we will have backing for scrap rugs, yarn rugs, needlepoint and cross-stitch kits, and even painting canvas. Any that are particularly attractive will probably be sold "as is" for those who want to make purses and such.

T shirt yarn. Turns out there is about 15 yards of yarn in an average t-shirt even after the hems, neck bands, and everything above the armholes has been removed. As reducing waste is a big part of the ethos of Knit'n Kitten, we are naturally planning for uses for the removed parts as well, such as self-sewing rug braiding that requires shorter lengths of yarn.

Follow @Knitn_Kitten